Buy a Car Online With These Email Templates (Copy & Paste)

Written by Ray Shefska

My career in the retail automotive business started in 1977. Buying a car doesn’t have to be anxiety inducing, stressful, or painful. Instead it can be confidence inspiring, fun, and convenient. Let me show you how.

October 13, 2020

It’s 2020. Buying a car shouldn’t be so damn hard. Amidst the ongoing coronavirus pandemic more and more car dealerships are offering ways for you to buy a car online. That being said, negotiating a fair car deal is (in someways) easier than ever before.

To buy a car online you need to be prepared to contact multiple car dealers via email. We wrote an entire guide on this process. The purpose of this page is not to talk strategy, but rather to be a repository of email templates you can copy and paste while you buy a car online.

Please comment below if you have an email template request and we’ll add it to this page. Our hope is that you can copy and paste these email templates so that your online car buying experience is easier, less stressful, and potentially even fun (we said potentially).

Email Requesting the Best out the Door Price Quote

Email For When the Dealer Says “The Price is The Price”

Email Asking If a Car Is Still Available

This email should be sent to the sales department as a general inquiry, or to the internet department if a dealership has one. You can typically find the email address for these departments on the dealership’s website.

Email Asking For a Lease Quote

Email To Factory Order a New Car

Email for the General Manager or Dealer Principal

Email Response for When The Dealer Doesn’t Provide the Info You Requested

Join hundreds of others!

Negotiating tips, money-saving tricks, and car buying advice. One new guide each week. No spam ever.

You May Also Like…

17 Comments

1. Sean

Thank you for creating these.

2. Ken Porter

Hello gents, came across your channel about 2 weeks ago, very informative with the right amount of humour. I’m in Canada, try living here with patio doors that are not working properly, lol. Is there a template for leasing or would this one work for leasing a car as well?

3. Mike Barr

Thanks so much for these templates. I am looking at getting a car in the next 60 to 90 days. I am ESPECIALLY interested in using the tools your website shows such as the browser tools and information like length of time on the lot. My target vehicle is a 2020 Subaru, either the Forester or Outback depending on test drive (wife interest) and what the numbers are. I really want to use the tools you talk about before I walk in or send an e-mail.

4. Anthony

These are great, and I used the first one but the most common response is – When can you come by or Let me call you. How do you respond to those?

5. Glenn Shiplet

Good Evening Zach and /or Ray, My name is Glenn Shiplet I live in the Washington area in southern Md. I have been watching you you tubes since February and enjoy it especially the bantor between you and your Dad. He is more my age 69 . I have always had a tough time handling the negotiating buyi8ng anything but especially vehicles. I have my eye on a 2015 Kia Soul at Koons in Va . because it is a manual transmission and thats what I need for a flat tow on a motor home. Just looking at the pricing I feel it is a great price $9500,24500miles i believe it is because of the manual trans. which no one wants to drive anymore. The price reflects internet pricing excluding fees taxes title fees and a destination fee? Heres what I am asking I would still like to get the best price I can out the door without the fees.should I use your dads already prepared reply , which is good or can I use you as my advocate to get the best price if so how do we do that thanks Glenn

• Zach Shefska

Glenn, thank you for this. Unfortunately we do not provide any services to negotiate any transactions, instead we simply offer our free content. Please let us know how it goes!

6. Bill Bressler

Good afternoon, I am looking to buy a 2020 Accord Sport, with the 2021 availability almost or already here already, what kind of discount should I look for on the 2020?

7. Kari H

Hey guys! I came across your YouTube videos while researching buying a van. You have such a fun relationship and offer really helpful information. Keep doing what you’re doing! Thank you!

I hope you can help me. I found a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring with 115,000 miles for $8000 (MN). Last week I took it for a test drive, then a couple of days later I brought the van to my mechanic to have it inspected (no big issues found). The dealership’s mechanics had already disclosed that the Rear Blind Spot Detection was inoperative and would cost approximately $2700 to fix prior to my bringing it to my mechanic.

I decided that I would buy the van – did the research on what similar vans in the area were selling for, etc. and decided on what I would offer them for the van. This van has been on their lot for 70 plus days at this point. When I brought the van back from the inspection, I told them that I was interested in buying the van that day, if they would throw in the tabs (due in 2 weeks) and could bring the price down to $7000 (I also had 3 friends in the car industry tell me that is what the van is worth). The salesman and the manager told me that the dealership has a “Best Price” policy and the the price is the price, but “if they do a price drop, they will be sure to let me know”, at which point I walked out the door.

I was actually stunned that 1) they didn’t negotiate with me at all, and 2) that they let me walk out the door. I haven’t heard from them at all since then (5 days ago – I know, not a long time…but…) I would think that they would want to move this vehicle. It is still listed online.

I’m still interested in the vehicle, but do NOT want to go in with my tail between my legs saying, “Please, can I pay full price??” UGH. Should I walk away completely and start my search AGAIN, or is there something else I can try? Advice please?

8. Mark L

Guys,

What’s the best way to get a usable email address to use to send these OTD requests. New car dealers in my area don’t show email addy’s for folks at the store. Also, who’s the best target here internet guy, salesman, new car sales mgr, etc?

Thanks for what you are doing!

Thanks!

9. GW

Your template for placing a factory order on a new car. Do dealers take orders like this in this day and age. What type of deposit is usually required? Is the deposit refundable if the timeframe is not met or the color combination and equipment was not on the automobile?

• Tim

GW

Most dealers will do a search of other dealers to see if they have the car you want instead of an order out and dealer trade for it if you reach a deal with them. You might consider that option.

• GW

I have a 2017 that will be discontinued in 2021. Does this lower the value of my 2017 if I want to trade it in on a 2021?

10. Nick L.

I did your series on the Deal School and found it very informative. I’m presently working on leasing a vehicle and found your breakdown on How to figure a lease extremely helpful . A few dealers when I asked to explain how a lease is figured said they just put information into their computer and it gives them the monthly payment. It’s great to know how to figure it out for yourself to see if their computer is in the ball park or way out of it. Your email templates are great. Enjoy all your videos, keep it up.

11. Rich Shaffer

Sharing your experience is priceless Ray! Thank you for your helping us better understand how the car buying process actually works Zach.

12. Dwayne

Thank you for sharing all this information

13. magali

How awesome are those templates! Thank you for making them! I will be purchasing a Honda Passport at the end of the year ( if car prices are still going down) and dread going into the dealership , i will definitely use those letters to negotiate the price and hope that the only thing i have to do is go into the dealership and sign papers. Kind Regards

Submit a Comment